About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
I am a Realtor in Austin. I have been in this city since 2000. Having moved 13 times in my childhood, I was always looking for a place to call home, and think I have found it here. I am happily attached to a techie, creative (yet disorganized) guy, and we have 2 shelties which keep us busy. The name Ms. Organization comes from my almost OCD trait of being organized. Yes, all my shirts hang by color order (and short to long sleeve sub-order). And yes, all my weekly menus are color coded and cross-referenced by section. (Need a copy? Just shoot me an email) A relaxing activity for me involves reorganizing my spice rack, or alphabetizing the DVD collection. Some consider this a sickness... I like to see it as a somewhat productive problem to which I am not seeking a solution. *grin* And really, as hard as it may be for me to deal with my disorganized partner, in reality, I think he has it far worse, having to dealing with me.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Client Story - Part 1

I am going to preface this story by saying this is not a story about a bad or difficult client... more just a lesson I learned about negotiations and taking a stronger approach as difficult as it may seem at the time, because I fear I may lose the client.

I have/had a client... let's call her Lizzy. She needed to purchase a home, and was on a short deadline. She indicated that she had done a bit of research on her own through open homes and looking on craigslist. We met, and I determined that I would be able to help her. When it came time to sign the buyers agreement, she indicated that she wanted a stipulation in there that she would only sign the agreement for the homes we viewed together.

I tried to negotiate with her a bit on this point, but looking back, wasn't as firm as I should have been. So we signed it for 6 months, for all of Travis and Williamson counties with the clause that it was only for homes we looked at together.

Anyway, we spend several days looking at homes (all the way in North Austin and Round Rock - think gas costs!). Which I understand is part of the job, so I am only complaining a little bit! A funny story to share that occurred on the last day we went to go look.

A slight (and somewhat humorous) detour.....
She decides she likes one of the homes we have looked at, and on a Sunday wants to go look at it. Ends up being 30 min late for the appointment. We go outside to look at the backyard, and oops! The back door closes behind us, and we are locked out! I try to check the side fences to see if we can get out, and the side gate is sturdily locked. No way out! So, I have to roll up my sleeves and do one of those jobs that they DIDN'T teach me about in Real Estate school.

I need to jump the fence. No other way around it.

Now, I am 5ft 3in. Not athletic in any capacity, and I am wearing boots with a 3 inch heel. Yikes. Of course I am trying to keep my cool, and act like this is just part of the job. Inside though, my heart is pounding out of me! So, I gather my courage and climb up to the top of the gate (which is actually pretty easy), however, once I was perched on top of the 10ft fence... I have no earthly idea how I am going to land on the ground.

Do I jump straight forward? Do I try to turn and face the fence? I have no idea, absolutely NO CLUE what I should be doing. I sit up there for a good 2 minutes, and my client asks "Are you okay?" Considering I don't have a choice, I try to calmly say "Yes, perfectly fine, just thinking about my strategy". So I decide the safest way down is to launch myself off the fence and in mid-air turn to face the fence, so I don't land with my face in the dirt. (Also, I have taken off my boots, figuring that landing on my feet is better than landing on 3 inch heels and risk cracking my ankle).

So I jump. And turn midway as was the 'plan'. I land HARD on my right ankle, my left knee slams into the fence, and my palms are scraped up from the landing.

I hear her asking me if I am okay. I get up, dust off my jeans and shout back a shaky 'Yup, everything is fine!'. I throw my boots back on, hobble back to the front door, and let them back in through the door.

Yikes, the adventures of Real Estate!

So, what happens? Does she buy the house? Look out for Part 2.

No comments: