About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
I am a Realtor in Austin. I have been in this city since 2000. Having moved 13 times in my childhood, I was always looking for a place to call home, and think I have found it here. I am happily attached to a techie, creative (yet disorganized) guy, and we have 2 shelties which keep us busy. The name Ms. Organization comes from my almost OCD trait of being organized. Yes, all my shirts hang by color order (and short to long sleeve sub-order). And yes, all my weekly menus are color coded and cross-referenced by section. (Need a copy? Just shoot me an email) A relaxing activity for me involves reorganizing my spice rack, or alphabetizing the DVD collection. Some consider this a sickness... I like to see it as a somewhat productive problem to which I am not seeking a solution. *grin* And really, as hard as it may be for me to deal with my disorganized partner, in reality, I think he has it far worse, having to dealing with me.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

New to Austin?

I recently met a couple who is new to Austin. I started thinking about all the about things I love in the city. Especially eating out! Which restaurants should they go to first? We do love to eat out - a lot.... so to say we know a bit about Austin dining is probably a fair statement.

So, I thought a few posts with some of our top 10 lists would be a good place to start. My first list is going to be...

My Pick for the Top 10 Restaurants in Austin

Not in any particular order... just how fast they came to my mind.

1. Madam Mam's - Thai - close to home, (walking distance actually), cheap and GOOD! Our favorites include the Pad Spaghetti w/ beef... ummmm. I am hungry already!

2. 888 - Vietnamese/Chinese - a great late night asian place on the east side. Open till 2am most nights. Fulfills several of our needs: Ethnic. Late, and not far from where we live.

3. First Chinese BBQ - Chinese (what else would it be??) a favorite haunt of ours that comes from Dallas. Whenever we are in North Austin, this is one of our lunchtimes stops for sure. Our favs are the Curry Noodles (used to be called Singapore noodles, so look out on the menu for either one), Wonton Soup with noodles, and of course the BBQ pork

4. Polvos - Mexican - hands down the BEST interior mexican food in the city. Located in the south which is close to home for us. Order the Cerveza Fajitas (enough for two - trust us... after the chips and salsa... you get the point), the Puerco Adovado, or the Carne Guisada.

5. Homeslice - Pizza - Another SoCo success story. Just downright good pizza. Nothing else needs to be said

6. Alborz - Middle Eastern - A place we try to hit up when we are in North Austin. Our go-to place when it comes to some good babaganoush and make sure you try their chicken and veggie kabob plate.

7. P. Terry's - Burgers - Close to home. Naturally raised, hormone free etc burgers with a drive through and a outdoor seating area. Cheap. Good... and hey, if you are going to eat a burger, at least it makes me feel a tad bit better knowing I am not ingesting the bad stuff too.

8. Silhouette - Sushi - Not necessarily the best sushi in town, but it combines some of my favorite elements.
  • Cheap sushi if you go during happy hour.
  • Bubble tea
  • Open late
  • Central Location (they are downtown right on Congress b/w 9th and 10th
9. Tomo Sushi - Sushi - Probably the best sushi place in the city. We have our friend Marc to thank for introducing us to this place. They are way up north, we don't get to go very often... but we can highly recommend it!

10. Mars - Fusion - a perfect 'special night' place. Higher on the price scale, but for those few nights that call for an upscale (but not snooty) celebration for 2 or 4... one of our favs.

And one more that we HAD to include.


11. Shanghai - Chinese - DimSum! We haven't been there for anything else, but the 5 times we have been and taken friends is always a winner. Hot DimSum, friendly staff, centrally located for both our North and South friends (near the Highland Mall). Expect a wait if you go during peak time.

Couple observations about our list:
  • 5 of our 10 are Asian selections - yup we do love Asian food, and are not as drawn to traditional American cuisine
  • Due to where we live, most of the locations are in the south/central region
Have your favorites? Totally disagree with some of our selections? Have some more you think we should check out? Post a comment and let me know.

1 comment:

JML Esq said...

Great list! We look forward to checking out some of your recommendations. J&R